Sunday 20 February 2011

Protests in Arab Countries, Referendum, Shopping

PLEASE NOTE that this is not a diary but an attempt to leave writings intended for future social historians in 2525 and beyond. The 2525 is taken from the song by Zager and Evans,,,,
In the year 2525
If man is still alive
If woman can survive
They may find…..

‘My Window on the World’ of 4th Feb 2011 seems to be spot on. The protests in the Middle East have spread to many more countries and I don’t think the growth has ended yet. Two countries have managed to get rid of the top man but others are not finding it so easy. Libya for one has a leader who does not care one jot for his people and is shooting and killing them to try to stop the protests. Last night I listened live to a doctor telling his story with a background of machine gun and other fire rattling away just around the corner. He was there to try to give first aid to the wounded and reported 20 dead that day and over 40 injured that he had seen. He himself risked being shot as the troops or police had no compunction as to who they would shoot.

What frightens me is that the protestants are mostly young because the average age in the Moslem and Arab world is young. These are the very people who will not have the experience to resist the fundamentalists who will seize the chance to convert the masses to their distorted way of Islamic thinking. So we will have country after country learning to hate the western way of life – although they will grab what they want to have of it like technology and weaponry – and we, we will have a real war on our hands, not just a war on terrorism.

Far fetched. No, we of the West are in for a rough ride for if it is not the Islamic fraction then look to China. They are out to conquer us by ‘Trade’. We did it to them once. What goes around comes around as they say. Only you in 2525 will know the answer as to who survives either creeping threat. This is my opinion and as I am just an observer with only the radio, computer and TV to get my information – I may be wrong but I am an old observer and have studied history a bit.

In this country we are heading for a Referendum on the method of voting i.e. first past the post or alternative voting, I don’t think it makes much difference, the people attracted to politics will still be the same sort of people.

The cuts are beginning to bite and this week the government has to climb down on one of them. They wanted to sell of all our publicly owned forests and there was such an outcry they did a U turn and we keep our forests, thanks be. We won’t win so easily on the other cuts because there is just not the money in the kitty to pay for them.

Personal. I am getting back to health in some ways. I have started to loose weight again and have also begun to exercise each day using my tread mill and exercise mat.

I had an interesting outing last week. A friend, who is some 30 years younger than me and has two young teen girls, took me shopping in the local Tescos supermarket. We had a coffee in the Coasta Lot coffee shop and then, wheeling the giant basket around, we set off around the store. Now when I shop I know what I need or don’t need. Often I look down aisles and say to myself ‘there’s nothing I need down there’. So my shop, when I don’t order on the internet and have it delivered, is done in about half to three quarters of an hour. But my friend went down every aisle and I followed fascinated to see the things she chose, so different to my shopping. I mean two aisles I never visit for instance are the fizzy drinks and crisp shelves. I didn’t know there were so many to choose from. Now I mean no criticism of my friend but I can understand why their shopping costs so much. Well, by the end of the shop, some hour to hour and a half, I realised I was an old lady and was exhausted. Thank goodness for the internet and delivery.

                     
                      

There are definite signs of Spring being around the corner, daffodils and crocuses out and buds on the trees. Today they say the government want to start putting the clocks forward two hours in summertime rather than one. I remember that as a child in World War II.

We booked the dates for our summer holiday today, Roll on.

1 comment:

  1. The Middle East is a powder keg! And one of the results here in the US is higher gas prices! Of course.

    I always thought that China would conquer us with their buffet style restaurants here...get us fat and comfy and we'll never notice them taking over.

    Spring just did a U-turn on us...we just got over a foot of snow!

    ReplyDelete