Friday 15 July 2011

Flickr and Making Friends Worldwide

PLEASE NOTE that this is not a diary but an attempt to leave writings intended for future social historians in 2525 and beyond. The 2525 is taken from the song by Zager and Evans,,,,
In the year 2525
If man is still alive
If woman can survive
They may find…..
 
I am supposed to be recording what life is like in 2011 well mine the last couple of days has been quite international. No I have not been travelling except by e-mail but have been in touch with places truly across the world and time zones. This has been through my interaction on the photo and picture site called Flickr.
At first I just was putting up my artwork with no particular thought in mind that anybody would look at it, rather like this blog. I met somebody in a local town who owned a cafĂ© and we got talking computer digital art. She mentioned she was on Flickr too and I went to check her out. I saw she was on Groups which I hadn’t realised were there, I’m a bit slow in catching on with Internet sites sometimes. Still trying to understand Twitter and don’t have young people around to help me so have to work it out on my own.

I joined one group and suddenly somebody emailed me and ask me to put up my work on the group they ran. Wow! Somebody looked at my pictures. Now nothing is so good for an artist, amateur or professional, as somebody expressing interest in your work. I joined the group and looked for others that had a similar outlook or interest. Two or three others came in and again asked me to put up on their group. Wow again! One is called The Gallery of Fine Photos. Fine photos, Moi?

Now I started to get people making comments and sometimes I sent back e-mails of thanks. The upshot of this isI seem to have made several new e-mail friends right round the world, New Zealand, USA, Canada and some at home in the UK. When I started talking to them, by e-mail, I had to think, goodness he is just going to bed and she is in the middle of her night and here I am in the middle of my day. I know, millions and millions of people have done this before me but this is what I am doing now. I have had contact world wide before but this is all connected with a subject dear to me, digital art.


World News.
The scandal of the moment is the News of the World newspaper phone hacking scandal. Now the News of the World was, in my younger day, considered a scurrilous scandal rag. My parents would not have been seen dead with it. So when this scandal broke I was not really very surprised. Today the CE of the group, Rebecca Brooks, resigned and I can only hope she was nice to the people on the way up as she might meet or need them on the way down. The paper’s owner, Rupert Murdoch, is being shot at from every direction, I understand they are looking into his papers in the USA now. That should be interesting. I think with him it could be ‘How the mighty have fallen’. Who knows, he is a very rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment