Sunday 9 January 2011

A Day out Shopping

PLEASE NOTE that this is not a diary but an attempt to leave writings intended for future social historians in 2525 and beyond. The 2525 is taken from the song by Zager and Evans,,,,
In the year 2525
If man is still alive
If woman can survive
They may find…..

8/1/2011

Went Saturday shopping just like I did in my younger days. I went to our little market town of Newton Abbot and it was market day. Not the animal market, That’s on Wednesdays, but the market square was full of traders.
David had to go on an appointment in a town nearby so he dropped me off. I wanted to go to the only decent knitting wool shop in the district. Really got the knitting board bug now and I wanted some thicker wool which is supposed to be the right wool for it, not the thinner one I am using. Had a lovely time choosing wools and patterns and talking with the owner. She had never heard of my knitting board and I think I quite interested her. I must have spent nearly an hour in there and over £20,00!
From there I had a quick call into the craft shop which was only two doors away and got some white card for making my handmade cards, only £1.20 here. David was due to come back and meet me for lunch so I wandered around the indoor market hall and the outdoor market where I saw some reasonably priced dog walking shoes for David, his had just got a hole in them this morning. Shoes cannot be mended these days at least not the moulded trainer type.
I phoned David on my mobile to see if he was going to be long but got no answer. Decided he must be driving and it is illegal to use the mobile while driving. While waiting to try again I found a kiosk jewellers shop that sold reasonably priced watches. One had lovely dark thick black hands which I knew I could see even without my glasses, I have astigmatism. Bought it for £4,50 and am well pleased as I am rough on watches and its not worth me paying more.
David phoned to say he had arrived and was parking the car, soon he joined me. I showed him the shoes and he bought a pair for £20.00 Then we went to a very nice pizza cafĂ© which was very busy but we were lucky and found a table. We had the snack sized pizzas, David had sea food on his and I had pineapple and extra cheese, not good for my weight loss but….. The meal cost around £14. During the meal I chatted about my wool purchases and showed David a pattern I had bought for a mans pullover in cable stitch Arran wool. He liked it so much we went back to the wool shop and bought some lovely wine coloured wool, that was another £20, so now I have a long job on my hands. I told him it would have to be for next winter! This one is on ordinary knitting needles not on my new board.
I said ‘home James’ before we spent any more money but I had enjoyed myself, it not often I get to do some fun shopping. Got home and David had another appointment to go to and I had to walk the dog, at least the sun was out which was lovely after all the grey weather. Below my dog, she is ten this year but still like a puppy.

                        

No comments:

Post a Comment